I’m not going to teach you how to commit a crime, but I wanted to make sure I got your attention. To kill means to put an end to something. In this case, we want to end bullying. And that’s exactly what I’m going to teach you how to do.
25% of kids say they have experienced bullying. The problem is growing. That’s the unfortunate reality.
Why do kids get bullied? There are many reasons. A bully might target an individual because of jealousy. Another might be bullied because they are nerdy and socially awkward. No matter the reason, you should not tolerate being bullied.
I was bullied while in middle school. This would have happened in the late 90’s. I know… I’m old. Anyway, a group of upperclassman would line the lockers on any given school day. As I walked through the gauntlet, they would either knock books out of my hands or trip me. Leaving me on my hands and knees feeling humiliated. Being bullied really sticks with you. It breaks you.
I was bullied physically. That’s only one of the four types of bullies listed below.
Types of Bullying
- You might be getting hit, kicked, tripped, pinched, pushed, or have your belongings damaged.
- Verbal bullying can come in the forms of name-calling, insulting, teasing, intimidation, or making homophobic or racist remarks.
- Social and Emotional
- Social and emotional bullying is sometimes called relational bullying. A bully might lie or spread rumors that will humiliate you. Or you might become the center of a mean joke that causes embarrassment, etc.
- The newest form of bullying includes both verbal, social, and emotional bullying through popular internet channels. Social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) seem to be the home of most online bullying. Never expose yourself on the internet! You’ll find out why this is important later on.
What type of bully are you having problems with. Let me know in the comments?
All bullies can be stopped with a combination of techniques. Below you will find some tried and true methods for putting a stop to your humiliation.
Ways to Kill a Bully
- Record the attack on your smartphone. Almost all smartphones have a built in application for recording audio. If you know you are going to be facing your bully soon, start recording. Share this evidence with a principal or responsible adult.
- Learn a martial art. Preferably learn a martial art that focuses on defense. A smart bully will get you in trouble if you retaliate physically. My recommendation is to learn Judo or Jiu-Jitsu. Some of the best bouncers and street fighters in the world have black belts in Judo.
- Walk away from or avoid your bully. Bullies want attention. The best thing you can do is walk away from a bully. Refuse them the attention they crave. If they chase after you, make sure you record the incident with your smartphone. A bully might travel the same paths you do. Find another a path and always travel with a friend.
- Publicize a schools negligence. I hear about schools that ignore a students cry for help and it boils my blood. If this is happening to you, make it public in the local newspaper or your favorite social network that the school is tolerant of bullying. You’ll have every concerned parent knocking on the schools door.
- Remove the bait. It’s not uncommon for a kid to have an iPhone, Android phone, tablet, or a laptop at school. If it’s not necessary for your school work, try leaving all of your gadgets at home. Your bully might be jealous of what you have (technology, money, food, etc.) and try to steal from you or forcefully take them from you. You might find leaving them home is all it takes to stop being bullied.
I recommended a martial art that focuses on defense because a physical bully usually targets the people he thinks are small and weak. Knowing the right martial art will help you protect yourself. Larger people are harder to take down. Unfortunately, that’s life. Take it from Richard Gale, a bully who didn’t get the memo.
I’m proud that I was a victim. Bullies have a higher risk of going on to abuse alcohol and drugs. Plus, they are more likely to get in trouble with the law, drop out of school, and be abusive towards a partner, spouse, or child. Some people are just evil through and through.
Because some men aren’t looking for anything logical, like money. They can’t be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.
Suicide Is Never the Answer
Please, I beg you, get help if you can’t take the bullying anymore and have tried everything to stop it. I care about you and don’t want you to end up taking your life like Amanda Todd did after she was ruthlessly bullied online, in school, and out of school. It all began with her being pressured into sharing a photo that exposed her breasts.
Need help and live in the U.S.?
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
If you don’t take a stand while you are being bullied, you can be reassured that justice prevails. I admit I feel a small amount of happiness when I see my childhood tormentors on Facebook living in the past with no ambition. Don’t I deserve it? Don’t we deserve it?
Photo credits: Thomas Ricker